PowerBI is a great BI tool that I wanted to use with Microsoft CRM 2016 Online. Unfortunately, the connection information provided in PowerBI is out of date and trying to connect to Microsoft CRM 2016 Online gives the following OData error if you use the recommended OranizationData method. This is how I got it to work.
The given URL neither points to an OData service or a feed: ‘https://<xyz>.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/O
The solution to the problem is as follows:
- In CRM go to ‘Settings/Customizations/Developer Resource’s and copy the ‘Instance Web API’ URL. This is in the form of https://organization.api.crm[x].dynamics.com/api/data/v8.0/
- In PowerBI select ‘Get Data Source’ and then select ‘Microsoft CRM’ and paste in the ‘Instance Web API’ from MS CRM
- Select the Organizational Account option and click ‘Sign In’
- The Office 365 log-on screen is then presented and you enter your Office 365 credentials.
- Click ‘Connect’, wait and then select the data you want to download to Power BI